National Volunteer Month 2020
We’ve passed the halfway point for April, but we’ve barely scratched the surface highlighting some incredible Walk With Sally volunteers. In honor of National Volunteer Month we wanted to bring some attention to our all star groups as well as individuals. Sometimes a group effort is all it takes!
Volunteer groups have helped across a variety of areas, from fundraising, to expansion and awareness, special events manpower, even with some activities for mentees in the program! We are always thrilled when groups want to come together to support one area of Walk With Sally, but there’s one group in particular that has supported WWS in nearly all of these ways throughout Los Angeles. That’s why we are so excited to shine a spotlight on the Walk With Sally Social Club as one of our Volunteer All Stars for 2020!
Walk With Sally Social Club – Volunteer Group
The Walk With Sally Social Club is a group of young professionals who have a passion for giving back. Year round they work together with their leadership team to create mixer events to build their community of support, fundraise to support Friendships, volunteer at our special events like the Friendship Bowl in Torrance and White Light White Night in El Segundo, and are always acting as ambassadors for Walk With Sally, looking for that next place they can help to broaden our awareness as an organization.
Let’s take a peek at some of their stats:
- Raised over $14,000 since 2019
- Recruited 5 new mentors in 2019 (some members are current mentors as well, including current President, Michael Ford!)
- Volunteered 361 hours in 2019
- Led volunteer groups for White Light White Night (shout out to Ryanne Martucci!)
- Silent Auction item recruiters (should out to all-stars Katie Neal & Alex Brown!)
- Volunteered for program activities like our Friendship Activities (Kevin Bansley created an ice breaker for the kids!) and Young Leaders Club
Together this social club has had an impact on every corner of Walk With Sally’s community. We are so thankful to have them in our corner! The WWS Social Club is always accepting new members, so if you’d like to join this group of young philanthropists, email us today!
Thinking About Volunteering?
Right now, during this coronavirus crisis, it’s more important than ever for children to have positive relationships they can connect with.
- Sustained, positive relationships with caring adults can help mitigate the harmful effects of childhood trauma, like depression or cardiovascular disease.
- All the kids in our program have already endured the trauma of seeing a close family member battle cancer, this new crisis and dramatic shift due social distancing and isolation will only serve to exacerbate these harmful effects.
By connecting with a child and becoming a mentor, YOU can be the difference for a child who has had their world turned upside down for a second time in their short lives.
Fill our our volunteer form to let us know if you’d like to become a mentor, or help in another way, and someone will get in touch with you right away!